This pickling spice recipe dill dried mix makes super easy pickling spices that you can use when canning dill pickles or to add to other pickling recipes. Best dill pickle seasoning to store or use immediately for canning pickled vegetables!
How To Make Pickling Spice Recipe Dill Mix For Canning
Making a homemade pickling spice recipe is super easy! (I think you’ll be surprised by this quick and easy recipe!)
What is pickling spice made of?
What spices are in a pickling spice?
- Black peppercorns
- Mustard seeds
- Coriander seeds
- Dried dill seed
Get the full pickling spice recipe below!
What Is Pickling Spice?
If you’ve never canned pickles or pickled vegetables, you may be wondering what is pickling spice. A pickling spice is simply a blend of dried ingredients or fresh herbs (or a mix) that are used to give homemade pickle recipes (or pickled vegetables) more flavor during the canning process.
You can buy pickling spices, make your own (like our homemade pickling spice recipe), or even use your own herbs and spices from your garden!
Before we get to the homemade dill pickling spice recipe, here are some recipe tips, including how much pickling spice do I use…
How Much Pickling Spice To Use Per Pint
For dried pickling spice, you’ll use around 1 1/2 teaspoons for each pint of pickled cucumbers or pickled vegetables. If you’re making 32 ounce jars of pickles, use around 2 to 3 tablespoons of the pickling spice. Also, you can add more or less of the pickling spice recipe based on how strong you like your pickles or pickled vegetables.
What can you use pickling spice for?
- Classic dill pickles / homemade pickles (cucumbers)
- Pickled eggs
- Pickled red onions (one of our favorite pickled vegetables!)
- Pickled green beans
- Pickled okra
- Pickled asparagus
- Pickled beets
- Pickled cauliflower
- Pickled rhubarb
- Marinade for meats
- & SO MUCH MORE
What can I use instead of pickling spice?
If you don’t have dried pickling spices, you can use many other things to flavor your pickles when canning:
- Onion slices
- Garlic gloves
- Fresh dill
- Fresh celery (including leaves!)
- Slices of peppers (especially if you like your pickles spicy)
ALSO CHECK OUT:
Can you use dill seasoning instead of fresh dill for pickles?
Yes! You can use dill seasoning instead of fresh dill for canning dill pickles. You can even double and triple this recipe for dill pickle seasoning bulk for storing longterm. Make recipes using pickling spice mix like you would fresh ingredients.
And, you can even make your own dill pickle seasoning packets by sealing them into small vacuum sealing bags or small glass jars like these are perfect to keep for long term food storage! Just keep them in a cool, dark place and protected against rodents chewing into them (glass jars and food safe buckets work well for this).
OK! Let’s get to how to make dill seasoning for pickling!
How To Make Pickling Spice For Dill Pickles
We’ve given you what is in pickling spice for dill pickles. You’ll use this dried spice with your favorite pickling recipe for pickles or other things you pickle.
Here’s what is in dill pickling spice…
- 2 Tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 Tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 Tablespoons dried dill seed
- 1 Tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional (but recommended for just a little spice)
- Add all ingredients to a small glass canning jar. Mix ingredients, crushing any large ingredients (like the bay and red pepper flakes).
- Place lid on jar and label with name and date. Store in a cool, dry place until ready to use.
When making dill pickles (or other pickled vegetables), use 2-3 Tablespoons of this dry spice to each 32 ounce jar during preparation.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 3802mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 13gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g
Nutrition information is estimated. Changes to the recipe and use of different brands may cause changes to the nutritional information to vary slightly from the ones provided here.
Add this pickling spice recipe dill mix to your favorite pickled vegetable canning recipes!
- 47 Easy Ideas For Dinner With Ground Beef (Quick Hamburger Meat Recipes) - July 7, 2022
- Fresh Basil How To Store, Grow and Keep for Long Term Storage - May 26, 2022
- Can You Freeze Zucchini? - July 1, 2021